Monday, October 8, 2012

So it begins!

An amazing friend of mine has been pushing me to start a blog about my misadventures in fish keeping, so for his, and hopefully your, enjoyment I have decided to dive headfirst into this blog. Lets see if it actually goes anywhere, shall we?

A bit about myself to start off, I suppose. My name is Ana and I like fish. I have three tanks at the moment and would most likely have bigger and better if space and funds would allow... but alas! My smallest tank and my currant baby is a 10 gallon with a male halfmoon betta fish and a dozen or so sunset platy fry. I'm naughty and currently have no filter and may never add one. I use a mix of black gravel and flourite substrate with live water wisteria under twin 25watt plant bulbs. Let me tell you, these water wisteria are digging the super strong light and have grown 3+ inches in the last week and a half it seems. My next tank, since I randomly decided to go from smallest to largest, is a 29 gallon with a pair of Krib cichlids and a shoal of gold barbs (I can never keep the fifth alive!). I use flourite in this tank as well and have water wisteria, lace java fern, amazon swords (barely holding on, might I add) and a lonely moss ball. I have a standard cruddy hood light that puts off very poor amounts of light and an aquaclear filter which I adore. Lastly is my largest tank at 30 gallons. A trio of platy fish (Well, the male is a swordtail but its close enough..) and cory catfish make up the backbone of this tank. I have it planted once again with water wisteria (It grows like a weed! Have to keep moving it around!) and a few money wort struggling to survive.Sand substrate, standard lighting, and a Hagen Fluval canister filter.

There you have it, my tanks. My babies after my human baby. I think really its Daughter > Fish > Dog > Cats > Food > Boy Friend, but we wont tell him that. (I kid, but will not release the true order!)

So, besides bragging about my own tanks I'm creating this blog for several reasons. I'm on the hunt for a fish that is turning out to be very elusive, despite its bunny-like reproduction. I've checked many websites, several cichlid breeders and have come out empty handed. I'm talking, specifically about the Port Acara, Red Port Acara, Black Acara, or Cichlasoma Portalegrens. I generally just use 'Port Acara' since its simple and to the point. Besides this being a 'progess' blog for my hunt along the way I will be posting random bits and pieces about my tanks, equipment reviews/information from friends and myself, random fish care/dispelling myths, and a 'fish of the week' section. I have lots of ideas in store so bare with me! I will get picture up when I can, so hold tight.

Thanks for reading ladies and gents!

No comments:

Post a Comment